Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leap of Faith

I leaped! I stood on the edge of a door and looked down 13,000 feet and then I leaned out and was free. It was so amazing and beautiful. Careening through the air at 150 mph, I could see forever. There was no fear, no nerves, just pure fun and enjoyment as we fell for 65 seconds. A tap on my shoulder told me it was time to hold on. The parachute flew out and did it's job. Floating down was magical, at times it felt like we were suspended in air, not moving at all. Getting to drive the parachute was fun. I did spin a bit more than I should have, 30 year-old tummys can't handle all that discombobulation. Seeing the ground rush at me for the landing was a bit startling but it was soft.


I would like to say I had these great revelations as I was falling but my mind was clear; blank. I think it is one of the only times I have ever had a clear mind. Afterwards my mind went to the symbolism of the jump. That jump is my faith. Christ has my back. He has the parachute. He has the spins. He is in control of soft landings. He is in control period. As I begin a new school year I pray I can remember that.

No comments: