Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Moms

I think God knows that some of us require more than just the two eyes of Mom watching us. I certainly did. I wasn't purposely naughty; I just lacked the ability to forsee upcoming trouble.
So I had three moms.

Peggy was Mom. She loved me with all she had. She taught me how to love with all you have. I was her Suzy-baby and she always treated me like her baby. I know my lack of timeliness drove her nuts. I am not sure I was on time for dinner my entire school years. I also spend most of my elementary and middle school years grounded because of my blindness to trouble. But my favorite moments (from age 5 to age 24) were laying on her lap while we talked and she stroked my hair. We would fight, get it out there, and get over it. I am very certain she gets quite a chuckle from her spot in Heaven as she watches me try to parent my stubborn boy.

Pearl is Grandmom. She teaches me how to life by faith; how to find strength in the tough times; how to do work worth doing. My dear grandma allowed me to grow up in my own little world. It drove her crazy that I would speed through my cleaning duties so I could go outside to play in the playhouse, in grandpa's pickup, in the field, or wherever I could find space. When I got bigger I got out of cleaning (I still hate cleaning) because Grandpa discovered I was an excellent riding lawn mower operator. But I always had time and she always made time for tea at 4:00. It was tradition: Black tea, sugar, milk, and cookies. We would talk about the day, her childhood, how she met Grandpa, and pretty much anything else. It is such a joy to get to share the adventures of motherhood with her and hear her advice and stories.

Sara is sister-mom. It must be a birthorder thing. Sara, who I thought was bossy, spend our childhood trying to steer her sister away from troublesome situations. She did do her small part in getting me into trouble too; nobody said she was perfect. I will never forget the time she pushed me out the garage window, then let it slam shut, then run out of the garage declaring she didn't do it when Mom came racing out of the house to see what had shattered. I am not sure I can articulate all that I learned from her. I think the most important lesson was how to live a life of integrity and genuiness. My sister is nothing if not genuine with people. I always struggled with that (what if people didn't like the real me). Our phone conversations have become the highlight of my day. We trade mom stories, husband hillarities, and solve the world's problems.

Thank you, God for these moms who have helped raise me. Thank you for giving me three sets of eyes to watch over me. May I pass their wisdom on, may I always find time for those who need it, and my I always show love the way these moms have loved me.
Amen

1 comment:

Sara said...

Three cheers for the only eight-year-olds drinking tea at 4! :-) And I so did not break that window!