Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Greatest Teaching Moment

I have oft wondered why God would have me teach an age group of kids that I don't really relate to. I have cursed God for not putting me in a high school to be with the kids that I really love. But yesterday and today God showed me why he had put me where he did.

One of my favorite classes to teach is Christian Faith. I love it so much my class has been in the same workbook for two years because we talk so much about the lessons. (We still won't complete it this year.) I frequently remind my students that receiving the gift of eternal life will change them forever.

Yesterday after class one who I least expected came to me and said, "Mrs. Anderson, I, um have never invited Jesus into my heart before." I paused for a second and then stammered, "Would you like to talk about that?" The student paused and said yes but they couldn't do it right then so we set a date for today.

My mind was racing for the rest of the night. I had never led anyone in the saving prayer before. Would I even know what to say? Of course it only took a few moments for me to remember that I didn't need to do anything since Christ would work through me.

Today we met. We talked. We prayed. It was the greatest teaching moment of my life. As we were walking away the student shared, "You were the only person I could share this with." My heart stopped. Me?

Thank you Lord for keeping me in this job even when I didn't understand why. Thank you for cultivating a relationship I didn't even know was being cultivated. Thank you for choosing me as your vessel. Thank for this student, who bravely took a step of faith today. Guard and protect their heart and help them to feel your presence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being available when God wanted to use you. Thank you for loving the unlovely (middle school is just like that, sorry). Thank you for sharing that with us.
Love you,
Barb
Can't wait for the news tomorrow!!