Friday, January 22, 2016

Listen

My dearest boys,

We use the word "listen" a lot, don't we?  "John, listen to what I am saying."  "Mom, listen to this joke."  "Can we listen to that song again?!"

But we don't really listen, do we?  We keep reading.  We plan responses/arguments/jokes in our heads.  We answer before the other person is even done talking.  God put it on my heart that I really need to work on my listening in 2016.  It's my One Word for the year.

I have a terrible habit of planning my response while others are talking.  I have a terrible habit of half-listening when others are excitedly telling me about something that happened last year (or yesterday).  I have a terrible habit of tuning out what I don't want to hear.

God tells us in the Bible a couple of times to listen to his son, Jesus.  Listening is important; being heard is not.  I once heard someone say, "God gave you two ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you talk."  Yikes!

So, I am listening.  I am listening to what you say, what you don't say, and what your behavior is saying.  I am listening to what God is trying to teach me through studying His word.  I am listening to other moms and ladies who are way wiser than me so I can better mom you.

I am listening.

With Joy, my loves,
Mom

No comments: