Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bravo

About a month ago, Elijah came out of school near tears.  As we walked to the van he passionately spilled, "I didn't get a part.  I'm just a stupid singer."  I knew instantly what he was talking about, the K-1 Christmas concert.  He had decided last minute to try out for a part (mostly because his buddies were also trying out).  I did my best to console him and off we went.  When we got home and got to the business of going through his bag I was shocked.
"Elijah, you got a solo!"
 "Yeah, a stupid singer."
We then went into an in depth conversation about how only really talented kids get to sing in front of everybody.  How having a solo is still having a part.  How God had given him a talent and he needed to share it not keep it to himself.
He wasn't super convinced but we set out practicing each day after school.  And then, the big night was finally here.  Elijah, was less than excited.  First, he doesn't really like to be in front of everybody in the huge auditorium.  Second, I made him wear his good shoes and a dress shirt, tucked in!  Third, he was singing with three girls.
He did so great!  This mom could not have been more proud of him.  He faced the audience, he directed the girl he was sharing the mic with to face the audience, and he sang beautifully.
This morning he gleefully tore up his song sheet and said, "I'm never doing that again!"

We'll see, buddy.  I have a feeling this will not be your last performance.


1 comment:

Sara said...

His gentle nudge to his mic-buddy was so great! And that tie...mercy, Aunt Sara was in a full-on swoon! :-) Bravo indeed!