Thursday, February 9, 2012

No Other Gods



I am reading the book "No Other Gods" by Kelly Minter. Truthfully I am mostly reading it because my dearly beloved bought it for me for Christmas. There isn't a thing in that book that I don't already know. I am sure that sounds prideful or arrogant, however, it is the truth.


Ms. Minter asserts in her book that one of the paramount reasons we all seek idols is because of a "powerful ache of being unloved or perpetually unchosen." I don't disagree. Much of my life has been wrapped up in the pursuit of approval from those around me. And when I don't have people around me, it is in the pursuit of people to get around me so that I can pursue their approval. (Whew! It makes me tired just thinking of all that pursuit.)


But when I look at my life and I look at how I spend my time I know my main idol is the worthless box that sits in my living room flashing pictures and sound at me. I know I should turn it off, unplug it, maybe even throw it away. But I don't want to. That worthless box numbs my mind, gives me a quick "fix" of fiction, allows me to relax.


What I am really missing is a love relationship with my Heavenly Father. What I am really missing is a hunger and thirst for righteousness. What I am really missing is a desire so deep and driving that I can't stop myself from growing closer to Him.


And so I begin the journey of tearing away from the grip of the TV. I pray Psalm 119:37, "Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word." I pray for a hunger and thirst for the word of God because I know it is what sustains man.

No comments: