Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lent Sacrifice

Teaching in a Lutheran school and not being Lutheran has lent itself to some interesting questions. The one I always get at this time of year is, "Mrs. Anderson, what are you giving up for lent?" The students expect me to say sweets and wish I would say assigning homework.

Last year I actually asked the pastor to explain the purpose of giving something up and found out that giving something up really is a sacrafice or a fast that is meant to bring you closer to God. So last year I gave up sweets as an experiment. Didn't do much growing. So this year I thought about what it is that I do a lot of: discipline, talking, eating, going to the bathroom (darn baby), and worrying. After a short prayer and a common sense moment I decided to give up worry.

So, this lenten season whenever I worry I turn it to prayer. I think this will really help me in my resolution of finding joy and gaining strength. By the way, I have prayed a lot in the past 48 hours and anticipate that the Lord and I will be in much conversation over the next 38 days.

No comments: