Saturday, August 22, 2015

Being a Hero

When my phone showed a call from my neighbor I didn't think a thing of it.

When she asked if they should give Elijah a ride home I was confused.

"Chris is there.  At practice.  To get Elijah."  I stuttered.

When she explained about a horrific car accident involving a car, two kids, the helicopter, and a slew of emergency personnel I went to the dark place.  That place in my brain that immediately assumes the worst has happened.  In this case, it involved Chris hitting kids.  Or my nephews being hit.  Or...

I immediately called Chris who was giving a statement to police.

 He has been first on the scene.  He had seen flying bodies and heard cracking windshields.  He had been calm.  He directed others to call 911, to block traffic, and start assessing injuries on the young victims.  In his previous work he was an EMT and his brain holds all sorts of knowledge on injuries and treatment.  God gifted him with this incredible ability to remain calm in stressful and high drama situations. Like when the mother of the victims is hysterical by your side.

He arrived home with gloves on his hands.  Hands covered in the blood of a young girl.

He arrived home with tears in his eyes.  Tears from seeing the pain in the children.

He is a hero.  Placed at that place, at that time but God who sees and knows all things.

and I  love him and God for doing it.





1 comment:

Barb said...

So grateful for Chris's training, calm mind, amazing abilities. And to our God who sees all things and is never taken by surprise. Thanks for sharing.