Monday, January 20, 2014

One Word: Gratitude

One word springs from a challenge by my dearly beloved's mentor a few years ago.  To seek one word to live out for that year.  I have tried to live out joy (twice and now for a lifetime), strength, attitude, and now gratitude.  As with most of my ventures, I started out just picking a word and then more and more sought the Lord to see what He has for me for the year. 

This year's word began working it's way into my heart way back in February of 2013.  These lovely ladies in my Bible study small group kept talking about this book.  A book about giving thanks and counting blessings.  I finally got my hands on a copy and read it.  Then I read it again.  Something about the message stuck with me.  In the Fall our women's Bible study did the study version of the book and I was certain God was telling me to start counting.

So in 2014 I am counting blessings and working on looking at the world through a lenses of thanks. It has already been a challenge.  Finding an attitude of gratitude while trying to help my Grandma, who is not sure she wants my help, is a challenge.  Giving thanks while Micah screams for big chunks of the day stretches me.  I know that is the point. 

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  1Thessalonians 5:18.

No comments: