Friday, May 31, 2013

The Girls

Last night I attended the visitation for my great-uncle Arliegh.  He passed away this past weekend at the ripe age of 96.  I'm not big on funerals (I cry too much) so the visitation seems less daunting plus I only had to bring one darling instead of three.

It so happened that my beautiful sister and her husband were also attending.  At events such as this, when dealing with life long residents of an area, there are always people who know me but I have no clue who they are.  We stood by Grandma Pearl and made conversation while different people came up and said hello.  "Oh, you are the girls!"  was heard more than once.  The one that nearly broke me was,  "Oh, you are Peggy's girls."

We are Peggy's girls.  For as long as I can remember, Grandma has introduced or reintroduced us a the girls.  My aunts called us the girls.  Old teachers called us the girls.  It was who we were.  I certainly don't mind being lumped together with my beautiful sister.

Plus calling us the girls gets Grandma off the hook for remembering our names.  I am sure she curses my parents for giving us both S names.  :-)


No comments: