Thursday, January 17, 2013

Adding Iron

At Daniel's one year check-up they did an iron blood test.  Apparently iron deficiency is rampant in our population or the doctor just wants me to feel badly about another area of my mothering.

I totally expected everything to be peachy but got a call from the nurse informing me that Daniel was "borderline" coming in at a 10.6 (don't ask, I don't know either).  Treatment starts at 10.9.  I politely asked what I needed to do.  She suggested more steak and green leafy vegetables. While Daniel is a great eater he is more of a graham cracker boy and less of a green leafy vegetable boy, unless I hide spinach in his blueberry smoothie.

So I have begun a quest to find iron rich foods.  His beloved graham crackers have 6% of the recommended daily intake of iron.  Thank the Lord I don't have to take those away, we would never get a cooked dinner again since those little treats buy me cooking time without him hanging on my pants.

My beautiful sister, the adored Aunt Sara gave me the secret recipe for "Secret Brownies".  Made with black beans and sugar and cocoa and peppermint, these babies pack an iron punch of 15%!  John thought we were crazy when we dumped all the ingredients in the blender.  "This is going to be gross!"  he shared but I proved I think the evidence below tells a different story.



PS... Daniel's favorite cereal, Frosted Mini Wheats, has 90% of the recommended daily intake so I think we are safe.

No comments: