Saturday, May 5, 2012

Word Power

"Do you operate as though your words disappear or as though God remembers each one of them?"  Pastor Anderson posed this question in October and it has been ruminating in my mind and heart ever since.  The Bible passage for that Sunday was Matthew 12:33-37 where Jesus warns his followers that they will be accountable for every careless word.  The words we speak are a direct line to our hearts.

Man!  Two very real things strike me about this.  One, as a teacher, mother, wife, and friend I need to think before I speak.  Something my mother tried really hard to teach me when I was younger.  I am notorious for spewing forth whatever comes to mind and it has gotten me into heaps of trouble.  Like, this week, when the vice principal came to ask me about a comment I had made to a student.  One that probably should have been left in my head.  I was able to rectify the situation with both him and the student but I was left kicking myself.

Two, our words have great power.  My BFF, 5cent, was talking to me about a situation her daughter encountered with a coach.  The careless words of the coach had left her daughter devastated, physically ill and stressed to the max.  I have seen the flip side of this as well.  A well placed encouraging word can be a powerful tool.

So, do you operate as though your words disappear or as though God remembers each one of them?  Indeed, the pen is mightier than the sword.

No comments: