Saturday, May 19, 2012

Types of Tears

Admittedly, I am not very girlie.  But the one girlie trait I have in abundance are strong emotions.  Last week was one of those weeks where I had to classify my tears otherwise I would have been a blubbering fool. 

Monday marked the celebration of life for my Aunt Sharon.  Growing up, Aunt Sharon was the aunt I heard about but never really got to see.  She lived in Florida so no matter what I heard about her I always thought she was really exotic and cool.  I remember the Christmas she sent my sister and I rings.  Mine was an opal.  It was beautiful and even today when I see an opal I think about that really amazing gift.  (I really wish I hadn't lost it at an Augustana basketball game three years later.)

The types of tears shed at the funeral were those of sadness.  Sadness not because I had lost someone close to me but because my grandma has buried all of her children and her husband.  Sadness because of the brokenness in Aunt Sharon's life

Later that day I shed a different type of tear.  Tears of pride and astonishment.  Monday also was Elijah's kindergarten graduation.  As I sat in the bleachers thinking about how quickly the year passed and how soon 2024 will be here, I shed a few tears.  I also cannot believe how much Elijah has learned this year.  The boy can read!  And he is quite good at math as well.  He still proclaims that art and gym are his favorites though.

Elijah and his class waiting their turn to "graduate".
Then Wednesday came.  My last day teaching.  I am really at peace with staying home and am excited for that adventure.  But, I did shed a tear.  I received a card from a friend and the following was inside, "It will be gloomy without you.  That's what happens when the sunshine goes away." I guess you never know the effect you have on others.  My tears were those of thankfulness; thankfulness for having shared and hopefully ministering to my fellow teachers for the past two years.; thankfulness for the blessing of getting to stay home with my boys; thankfulness for the great friends that God brought to me.

1 comment:

Barb said...

My dearest Suzanne, I can hardly believe Elijah is done with Kindergarten. Now the years will really fly by!! I know you loved teaching and were such a blessing to your students and fellow teachers, but I am glad you will be home with your boys. These years fly by. When they are older, you may decide to pick up teaching again. Of course you'll never really set it down - not with three boys!! I pray you will always be at peace with your decision.
Love you, Barb