Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is the grass greener on the other side?

The grass is always greener on the other side.
I don't remember the first time I heard the expression but I have used it a few times when students are wishing for an easier teacher, an easier school, or an easier life. I am about to find out if the grass is indeed greener on the other side.
For six years I have prepared for six different classes each day. I have often envied my public school teacher friends who only had to prep for one class and teach it all day long. For six years I have been the lone language arts/reading teacher in the building. I have often wondered what it would be like to teach with others who are in my area; to collaborate on best practices. For six years I have lived in one place while wishing I lived in another.
Now, as of August 22, 2010, I will get all the things I have been thinking about. But I can't help but stop and wonder. Is the grass greener on the other side or is it just different grass?
I am sure the root of this expression is in our human desire for something better or different than we currently have. I know mine has been. But once I stopped wanting something better for myself and focused on what God wanted for me; where God wanted me to be; and why God kept me where He did, the grass did not matter anymore. All that matter was that I walk on the path paved by a God who knows the end.

3 comments:

Barb said...

What a beautiful way of putting it, Suzanne. I'm sure you will meet a new set of challenges here, but God is good. He will empower you to meet the challenge. God bless you all as you begin this new chapter.
Love,
Barb

Sara said...

Oh, it's greener! How couldn't it be when your neighbors are the Pattersons?!?!?

Sara said...

oh, it's greener! How couldn't it be when your neighbors are the Pattersons?!?!