Monday, August 10, 2009

7 years, 1 month & 1 day

I can remember it like it was yesterday instead of 7 years, 1 month, and 1 day ago. I can remember that whole time, really. It is a bit shocking how much I actually remember since I have the tendency to "forget" the things in life that are hard or difficult.

I remember visiting home Memorial day weekend and being so excited that Mom was up and around and so, well, alive. We went grocery shopping, talked forever, she even let her grown daughter lay in her lap as she stroked my hair (my favorite time with my mom since I was a kid).

I remember two weeks later the frantic call from Sara telling me to hurry home. I remember wishing the 5 1/2 hour drive would be done but at the same time dreading walking through the apartment door.

I remember taking care of my mom, much like she had taken care of me when I was a baby. It was a time that was so draining but also so important.

I also remember driving home from a 1o hour day at my hotel front desk job, dreading the homework that I needed to do that night and wishing I had air conditioning in our apartment. During that drive the Spirit so impressed upon me the need to talk to my mom that I almost called that night.

I waited though until the next morning. I briefly talked to Barb, who was taking care of her so we could all get a bit of a break, and then I had her hold the phone up to Mom's ear. I remember telling her that I loved her so much. Later that morning, I went off to do some research for a class at the college library glad that I had talked to her. I was sitting at a computer in the library when I was suprised to see Chris walking in the library. Thinking he had come to say hi or take me to lunch I smiled and greeted him with a, "What are you doing here?" His response set me aback, "Honey, you know why I am here." But I didn't know, not for the first three seconds or so then everything in my life changed, forever.

So, 7 years, 1 month, and 1 day later I can still remember it all. Truth be told, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my mom. I still miss her terribly even 7 years, 1 month, and 1 day later.

No comments: