Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Room Love Created

This past weekend my dear sister drove 3 1/2 hours through rain and cold to create a room of love. It was time to get things crossed off the list and baby room and spring cleaning was on the top of the list for the weekend.
First on tap was a trip to the store to buy the paint. My sister's eye for color and knowing what I am talking about when I don't meant the color would be perfect (and it is!). Then we had the arduous task of removing the old-lady border. It was tedious, messy, wet, and time consuming.
We still managed to get one coat on Friday night. Sara cut in and I rolled, sort of. Around 10 we needed a snack. Sara made the wise choice and had Kashi cereal while I stuck with my nightly ritual of ice cream (mint chip was the flavor of the night).
After a sleepless night (thanks Elijah and Isaiah) we were up by 6:30 and working by 7:30. Sara painted and I cleaned vents (gross!). Then it was a room by room attack of the neglect I had allowed for months. Floors were mopped by hand, window sills cleaned, appliances de-finger stained, furniture dusted, and bathrooms sanitized. At about the time we thought we were done we noticed that there was still green showing through our butter color. Coat three was on tap as soon as Chris could run to the store and get more paint. When it was all said and done the room is exactly what I pictured in my mind: a warm, bright sanctuary.

I never could have done this without Sara. Her sacrifice of time with her family, time to herself, and sleep are so amazing. My brother-in-law, Andy, sacrificed vacation time and spent the weekend trying to coach Josiah on the intricacies of using the potty. It warms my heart to know this baby is so loved already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Honey, this baby is already loved - so are you, Chris and Elijah! I love the picture of Elijah and Isaiah together. We are getting excited; it won't be long now.
Love,
Grandma Barb

Sara said...

'Tis much ado about nothing, methinks. Me also thinks I have a big nose. :-)