Saturday, July 19, 2014

Reminders

Sometimes I get too comfortable in my life.  I forget the blessings.  I forget gratitude.

This week I was reminded how ridiculously blessed I am.  I experienced first hand how a matter of inches and seconds can change everything.  Ever. Y. Thing. 

Thursday morning I prayed that the Lord would equip me for the day.  That He would give me what I need specifically to mother each of these very different boys.  That He would keep me mindful of Him all day.

Around 4 o'clock John and Daniel were playing in the basement.  Around 4:15 there was a large, loud crash and a scream for help.  A desperate, scared scream.  I was unprepared for what I saw at the bottom of the stairs.

A bank of lockers we had put in were laying on top of my darling blue eyed boy.  Heavy metal lockers.  Lifting them and trying to get John out I cried out. "Oh Lord!"  It was all I could muster. 

A few inches.  A head instead of a leg.  His arm instead of the fleshy part of his femur.

Around 5 o'clock I started getting ready to grill dinner.  Around 5:15 there was a fire and a cry for help.  A desperate, scared cry.  I was unprepared to fight the fire.

A new propane tank was leaking and as I reached to turn it off it burst into flames.  Rescuing John and Micah from the deck and getting Daniel out of the backyard happened quickly but then things started to slow down.  I had the fire extinguisher but I could not remember how to use it.  I called for the neighbor while another neighbor ran to the rescue.  As he grabbed the fire extinquisher the tank made a loud sound and fire burst everywhere. 

A few more seconds.  Our house instead of the grill. 

I live a ridiculously blessed life because He allows me to.  To take that for granted is selfish and so ungrateful.

I cried Thursday night.  I cried for what could have been.  I cried for His great mercy on our family.  I cried in repentance of my sinful heart.

1 comment:

Barb said...

So grateful you are all okay.