Friday, October 25, 2013

Gratitude

As Thanksgiving nears, it is quite the trend to do something to recall what one is thankful for.  Pinterest is all abuzz with thanksgiving trees, sticks, jars and whatnot.  I think this is all well and good but after reading (for the second time) and studying in depth Ann Voskamp's book, "1000 Gifts" a month of gratitude is not what we are called to.

 "Rejoice always!  Give thanks in all circumstances...."  Paul, empowered by the Holy Spirit, shares this command in his first letter to the Thessalonians.  David shares it throughout the Psalms.  God commands it in through the writer of Chronicles.  We are to give thanks all year long.  All the time.  Every day. 

Sometimes it takes me a while to catch on to what God wants me to do.  Last year I felt so convicted during a Bible study on attitude.  In reflection the one that made me most nervous was the study on replacing complaining with thankfulness.  Then my Bible study buddies kept talking about this great book I should read.  One of them finally borrowed me hers.  And then, the ladies Bible study at church decided to do the study on that same book.

The one point that struck me hardest was that the root of joy in our lives comes from having a thankful spirit.  As a girl who feels called to be joyful I began to see that I will never succeed in being joyful always until I give thanks in all circumstances.  So I began a list. {I love a good list.}  Ann Voskamp's challenge is to list 1000 blessings, things to be thankful for.  I am at 95.

Opening my eyes to all the wonderful gifts my Creator has laid before me has begun to melt my heart in some pretty serious ways.  One has been my current role in life.  Going from the teacher in charge to the mom at home has not been an easy transition for me.  Many days I feel like a maid, cook, laundry and taxi service all rolled into one.  And don't get me started on how unappreciated I am.  But as I list out all these gifts I see that God has me right where He wants me and blessing the big and little men in my life is my gift to them.

All the men, big and little, in this picture are on my list.  The baby to join us in 6 weeks is on the list.  So is the talented friend who took it.  As are the beautiful surroundings,

2 comments:

Barb said...

Oh my goodness, dear girl, what a precious picture. I love it and each person in it. Thanksgiving on the calendar is a reset button if your life (my life) has gotten off track. You are so right, thanksgiving is not a season, but a way of living. Lovy you all,
Barb

Sara said...

Whahhhhh! I loooooove this photo! It's going on my wall. Very big. :-)