Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lesson Learned in Mexico: New sisters

One of my prayers before I left for Mexico is that I would be bold.  You see, I am not so great at talking to people I don't know.  In fact, I kind of hate it.  I also get really anxious in new, unfamiliar situations.

God threw a test at me right away.  When we got our rooming assignments in Petlapixca I was paired with our Mexican translator, Nancy.  As everyone else went off to their homes on the left, my guide led Nancy and I to the right.  Far to the right.  To the edge of town.   To the far edge of town.

"Great, I'm going to get kidnapped and no one will even know.  I am stuck with a girl I don't know, with a family that doesn't speak English."  Ashamedly, those were my first thoughts.  Then things got worse in my mind.  Nancy informed me she was only staying one night.  "Great, I'm going to be way out here on the edge of town all by myself."

"Lord, make me bold!"  That had been my prayer and I was already cowering in fear and anxiousness.  Augh!  Sometimes I want to kick myself.

As it turns out, as always, God knew exactly what He was doing.  He calmed me down and revealed He has some work for me to do with Nancy.  She is a new believer in a family that does not understand why being Catholic (by culture not practice) isn't enough for her.  Our one morning together was full of joy when we discovered we had the same devotion book.  Hers in Spanish and mine in English.  We read together, opened our Bibles and discussed translations and what words meant.  We discussed seeking the Lord's will.  Nancy is considered an "old maid" in Mexican culture.  At the ripe age of 20 something she feels she will never find someone, especially now that her standards are so much higher.  I told her a little bit of my story and we discussed the testimony I had shared the night before.  When she departed that night, Nancy and I hugged and she shared that she felt like we were sisters.

The next two nights I was privileged to share a room with our other Mexican translator, Yuni.  Yuni is a young mom of two.  She and her husband are teachers and just bought (and finished paying for) their first house.  Yuni was in awe of the fact that I had left my "babies" for 9 days to come help in Mexico.  "I live 40 minutes from here but I would never have thought to come if Calixto hadn't begged me,"  she confessed.  We discussed how blessed we were to have all that we have and how we have to constantly thank the Lord for all He has given us.  She gave me such fresh perspective on blessings and prayer.  Yuni and I talked and giggled late into the night, like sisters.  The last time I saw her before we departed she promised she would pray for me and somehow that makes my soul feel full.

The last two nights Meghan moved in with me.  Since there were four group members in the same house our team leader moved Meghan over to be with me.  {A team rule is that all team members have a partner, so no one is ever alone.  If I had read the handbook I probably would have known that and saved myself some trouble.}  Meghan's parents go to our church but Meghan serves the Lord in as a missionary in Costa Rica.  She is the most gregarious, loving young woman.  We talked a lot about seeking the Lord's will and being faithful even when it is hard.  One of the greatest parts of this trip is my new friendship with Meghan.

Three new sisters a half a world away all connected by the same love for God.

Yuni leading prayer for a young mom at the clinic.

1 comment:

Barb said...

It's good to get to know God's family. We have brothers and sisters all aroung the world. We must remember to be in prayer for them. Thanks for sharing.