Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Word for 2012

Abide: to remain stable or fixed in a state ; to continue in a place; to conform to


2012 is the year of abiding. And truth be told 2011 should have been as well. I felt the Lord put it on my heart but I chose not to commit to it; I chose not to obey.


2011 brought me through the long wait of selling the house and the long wait to get pregnant. I learned patience (again) and that I am not in control (again). 2011 brought me through the difficult process of learning the value of people and relationships over material goods.


Probably the most difficult part of 2011 and the part the most clearly revealed my need to abide came in December. I came face to face with the very real, the very daily reality, that none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. I realized how much I depend on my husband instead of the Lord. A stroke, an eye doctor, a neurologist, and a cardiologist all revealed that I don't really want God's will, unless of course it means I get what I want. It revealed hypocrisy and ugliness in my heart. Sin. Big, ugly, sin.


Abide is what I need to do in 2012. I feel a bit like God has brought me low in order to show me the joy that arises from looking up. I am too weary to be the vine.

I am the vine; you are the branch. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

1 comment:

Barb said...

Oh my dear Suzanne, a difficult lesson to be sure but oh the joy of knowing God is worthy of our trust. Sin is indeed ugly, but praise God He sees us through the blood of Jesus.
Love you always,
Barb