Monday, April 20, 2009

Channeling my inner Phil Jackson

My mother often reminded me that it was wise to think before you spoke. I thought this was a silly thing. What difference would it make if I thought about it? Three weeks ago I was having a conversation with our gym teacher when he mentioned that a 6th grade girl had organized most of her fellow female classmates (most of whom have never played softball before) to form a slow-pitch softball team but he couldn't find a coach. (I am sure you can guess where this is going) I said, "Well, I could do that."

At least twice, I have wished I would have kept my mouth shut. With three games this week and two every week thereafter along with a practice I am feeling a bit too busy. So, here I am trying to channel my inner coach. I have discovered that I really want to win, even though we have lost twice. I have also discovered that I really love these girls and want them to have fun. Perhaps that is what we will accomplish this season, lots of fun. (And maybe a win.)

1 comment:

Barb said...

Oh my Dear, how do you ever find time? I hope this will also seem fun to you too. Best wishes to your team. Are Elijah and John your mascots?